Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My budgie seems to have something stuck in its mouth/or

Customer Question

My budgie seems to have something stuck in its mouth/or possibly injured itself. They have avoided eating and are sometimes making a slight chiriping noise when breathing. what would the best course of action be to help them with this?
Thank you for any help
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please clarify your question. Are you concerned that one of your budgies has an oral problem but both of your budgies have been anorexic and making a noise when breathing? To answer that last case directly, I must tell you that any abnormal breathing noise in a budgie needs to be attended to quickly as it usually means that airway resistance exists; for example, inflammation and exudate (mucus, pus) has accumulated in the airways secondary to respiratory infection. A systemic antibiotic as prescribed by an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) should be considered. I'll await your clarification.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.