Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We have a 6 year old Border Terrier, a rescue. She has been

We have a 6 year old Border Terrier, a rescue. She has been fully house trained for the 3 years since we acquired her. Over the last 3 weeks she has started peeing indoors even though we encourage her outside several times a day. No trouble at all during the night. I am at a loss as to what might be troubling her.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question about Willow hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.I can understand your confusion about her behavior but it's quite possible that there's an underlying medical reason for it and not necessarily a behavioral one.1. If Willow were my patient, then I'd want to rule out a urinary tract infection before anything else by performing a urinalysis. Even though she's not having accidents at nighttime, not all dogs read the text books, so to speak, and present in a classic fashion.I've seen dog with uti's who only inappropriately urinated during the day and for some reason were able to hold their urine overnight. I might also consider an x-ray to look for stones or a culture and sensitivity since this test tends to be more accurate than a regular urinalysis in determining if bacteria are present. 2. If you're only finding spots or urine but not actually witnessing her urinating, then she may have urinary incontinence issues where there's lack of bladder sphincter control. This particular problem is not uncommonly seen in older, spayed female dogs where they tend to leak urine (sometimes a lot or even a small amount) at rest or while sleeping but fortunately, we have several good medical treatment options for this problem which are quite effective in the majority of cases. I always run a urinalysis, though, to ensure that I'm not missing a urinary tract infection in these patients. 3. If she were older (which I suppose is a possibility since she's a rescue), then Cognitive Dysfunction is another possible explanation since loss of housebreaking is frequently the first sign we'll see in these patients. This is often a tough diagnosis to make but often there are other signs such as confusion, pacing or panting. 4. If she appears to be drinking more water, then there could be a problem with her kidneys or liver, for example, which blood work would detect. I hope this helps to provide possible explanations for her behavior and that it turns out to be a relatively simple explanation for it. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb