Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Help! My 6 year old ***** ***** has been being sick on and

Help! My 6 year old ***** ***** has been being sick on and off since Saturday night however her personality had been fine. Yesterday she was absolutely fine and this morning when I woke up she had been sick all over my bedroom floor about 7 times, she was shaking like a leaf and just wanted to lay still. She normally follows be everywhere, but today she's hardly moved.
We took her to the vet this afternoon and all blood tests came back normal. The vet gave her an injection for any pain she might be feeling and another to stop her feeling stick. They said if she still can't keep water down by tomorrow she'd have to go back in the morning and be put on a drip. She has slept most of the evening and has kept most water down as well as a few teeny strands of plain cooked chicken but she keeps sitting with her back to me and isn't bothered by my presence at all. This evening her heart feels like its beating out of her chest and she is hardly moving.
Will she be alright for tonight or should I ring an emergency vet?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did your vet take any xrays? 2- Is it safe to say that since seeing your vet she has become more lethargic? 3- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet did not take any x rays, but id like my dog to have some tomorrow if possibleshe has managed to get up and walk around once today, and that was this evening when we were eating dinner. she had some more water and the smallest amount of chicken and she wasnt sick afteri can not take her temperature
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Do you feel she has gotten worst since seeing your family vet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not any worse, no. I'm mostly worried about the fact that her heart is beating so hard in her chest
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale? 2- Can you take her heart rate by counting for 1 minutes heart beats?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are pink,
and i think there was 151 beats in a minuet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the normal heart rate in a dog is between 60-180 b.p.m, so his heart rate is normal. I would keep an eye him tonight, if he becomes more lethargic, gums become pale, continues to vomit, etc. I would definitely have him checked by ER vet, otherwise follow up in the morning with family veterinarian. Highly recommend discussing with your vet about doing xrays of the abdominal cavity. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so i can relax a little tonight and try to get some sleep? ill absolutely be taking her back to the vet for an x ray tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can. But, check up on her every 3-4 hours if possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will, thank you very much for your help, i just needed someone to put my mid at rest :(
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.