Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Yes i have a cross terrier alsatian i think she is about 15

Customer Question

yes i have a cross terrier alsatian i think she is about 15 years old and over the last few days she has been breathing rapidly wobbly on legs and unusually crying out inthe night as if in panick and breating raoid she does not seem to know where she is
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm really sorry to hear that Poppy hasn't been feeling well. 15 is a wonderfully advanced age for a dog - she's had a long fruitful life I bet. I'm very concerned for her, though, based on your description. You're right to consider a tumor to be a potential cause for her belly to swell. Bellies can also be distended from fluid accumulation or distention of gas within the GI tract. Any sort of labored breathing classifies as an emergency for us, so that rapid breathing alone would lead me to suggest that you have her examined as soon as possible. Crying out in the night can be plain senility, but it can just as easily be fear and/or pain causing her to do this. Wobbly walking can also have a wide variety of causes from the more simple "old age" related weakness, to relatively benign "old dog" vestibular episodes that resolve on their own without treatment, to more severe issues like weakness caused by severe systemic "whole body" diseases like uncontrolled diabetes, and heart failure, among a whole host of other issues. While some of these things can be palliated relatively easily with appropriate medications and time, I know you may also be wondering if this could be life threatening. Please don't hesitate to contact your vet and set her up for an exam. I frequently see people put off an exam for their pet because they fear that I'll tell them that it's time to euthanise. Sometimes I've got lots of treatment options, some that may even be simple and easy to pursue, and I wish that the owners had come in sooner so that I could alleviate their pets discomfort. My suggestion would be to have her examined as soon as possible so that you can discuss her quality of life with your vet and what treatments may be available to make her more comfortable, if that's possible. Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)