Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 13 year old dog has been prescribed 10mg Selgian for

Customer Question

Hi, my 13 year old dog has been prescribed 10mg Selgian for recently diagnosed CCD after getting an MRI scan to rule out a brain tumour. She has only been on it for a week, but so far it is not making a difference to her behaviour which is particularly strange overnight. She was previously on Diazepam and I wondered if it is possible to temporarily give her diazepam at the same time as Selgian until it is established in her system?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it's safe to do so. Benzodiazepines such as diazepam are not on the list of drug interactions for selegiline in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Ed. 2015. While selegiline is approved for use in dogs for the control of clinical signs associated with canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS, "old dog dementia"), it's use should be circumspect due to lack of efficacy. I prefer the longer-acting benzodiazepines such as clorazepate and alprazolam. Please contact your vet about these as they might not be readily available in the UK but others might be.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.