Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My Labrador has ligament damage to one of his legs it could

Customer Question

My Labrador has ligament damage to one of his legs it could cost from £2700 to £4000 I don't have him insured and don't have all of the money is there anywhere else I can turn.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now I am sorry to hear about Buddy's situation. First, if the ligament is just damaged and not ruptured, it may be worth trying him with conservative care (pain relief and rest.)
Otherwise, if you have tried that already, your vet doesn't offer a payment plan and your funds are limited, then we do need to consider some other options besides private care.
The first option would be the PDSA. Now you would only be able to use their services if you are on housing or tax benefits. If you are, then this would be an ideal option since they work on a donation system rather then payment system. That means you can pay as much as you are able. To find the PDSA nearest to you and check your eligibility, you can check @ https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility
If you aren't eligible, there is still hope. I appreciate it would be a wee trek and it does depend just where you are located, but if you are local enough to London or Grimsby, the Blue Cross (https://www.bluecross.org.uk/how-we-help) will see animals in your pet’s situation and as a charity their services are subsidized significantly. London also has the Battersea Dog and Cat Home who offer low cost clinics for pets.
Finally, if the above aren't options, then I would advise contacting the local RSPCA branch (http://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/yourlocal). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly, but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting his treatment. They may even be able to help organize a payment plan and refer you to their contracted vet, who will likely have a contracted price range for their charity.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)