Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Dr Gary my yorkie is passing blood in her urine tummy swollen

Customer Question

Dr Gary my yorkie is passing blood in her urine tummy swollen / sick/ weak 2nd message to you 1st message losted
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Scruffie. In the great majority of cases, hematuria (blood in the urine) indicates a simple bacterial cystitis (inflammation of urinary bladder) in a 7 year old female. I'm concerned, however, that you're reporting a "swollen tummy" and an overall sick and weak dog which isn't consistent with a simple cystitis but, instead, kidney infection, urolithiasis (urinary stones), or even neoplasia (cancer) in the urinary tract (transitional cell carcinoma, e.g.). Blood dyscrasias can also result in hematuria. Such dyscrasias include thrombocytopenia (low numbers of blood platelets), an anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning, and less commonly, autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Scruffie's vet will want to thoroughly examien Scruffie and the results of her physical exam will dictate what kind of diagnostics are indicated. I would anticipate a diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests and perhaps X-rays or ultrasound of Scruffie's abdomen/urinary tract.Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.