Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I own a 5 yr old Weimaraner, every winter when it gets

Customer Question

Hi, I own a 5 yr old Weimaraner, every winter when it gets wet he goes off his food, he will not eat anything. I owned a Weimaraner previous to this one and he was exactly the same, is this common and is there anything I can do about it, I tempt him with boiled chicken and rice, even buttered toast but nothing makes a difference, he ends up losing so much weight in winter, just need some advice please
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, no, this behavior isn't common - at least in my experience treating Weimaraners over 43+ years. Can you think of anything in his and your previous dog's environment that might put them off their food at this time of year - visitors, changes in the household - redecorating, decorating for the holidays, remodeling, new people or pets living in the house, etc? There simply isn't a "winter Weimaraner disease" and so I have to look outside the box (outside the dog!) for the cause of his inappetence at this time of year. What happens if you pick up his food after he won't touch it and then try again in an hour? How long will he go without eating anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He'll go for days without food, it's
I've he goes into some sort of depression, not his usual self but my previous Weimaraner was the same, nothing has changed in the house , no decorating nothing, just the same as usual, baffled!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just goes into his bed and ignores his food completelyif you move it away from him, like he's just not bothered
Curioser and curioser. One part of me wants to wait him out but the other tells me that he should be given a thorough physical exam including blood and urine tests to make sure he's not a sick Weimaraner. I would feel awful if I told you to practice tough love and the poor guy really was ill. Even depressed dogs don't starve themselves indefinitely.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.