Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat was very lethargic yesterday morning, seemed a bit wobbly

My cat was very lethargic yesterday morning, seemed a bit wobbly on her back legs and would not eat, it is not like her, she is 16 1/2 years old, I was going to take her to the vet after work but when I returned home she seemed much better, had something to eat and went out in the garden to go to the toilet so I decided against going to the vet as she gets very stressed in the car and I didn't want to put her through it. This morning she seems fine, what do you think caused this
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
In regards ***** ***** signs, it is quite possible that she was having an off day. At 16 years of age, we can see mild muscle strains/sprains cause enough discomfort to make our cats feel under the weather. As well, opportunistic GI infections, dietary indiscretions, or underlying systemic/organ issues she is coping with could as well cause the signs you saw.
In any case, since cats are notorious for pretending all is well until things to get advanced, we do want to tread with care. We need to keep an eye on her appetite, weight, activity, and drinking habits. Any relapse in what you saw or any changes to the others and we would want a check with her vet (perhaps a home visit if she isn't a keen traveler). That way, you can just make sure there are no ongoing issues she is hiding from you and that she still has a clean bill of health despite this off day.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )