Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My beagle or harrier beagle has been diagnosed with enlarged

my beagle or harrier beagle has been diagnosed with enlarged heart andheart murmur
he is on 1 vetmedin 5mg half tablet twice a day1 vasotop 2.5 mg once a day and three frusemide tablets a day. he goes to the beach and he is full of beans but when he is in the house resting he now has a hacking cough. i suspect this medication is not working and i think he should be on a higher dose of vetmedin for his weight according to the leaflet. i am told keep him comfortable they can do no more. would i be better with natural remedies red clover ginger omega 3 i am so desperateto make him better the cough is very worrying
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long will you be in answering now
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog. Sorry you've had such a long wait for an expert to come online, but I'm here now. I'm also sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am here
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Glad you're there. I've got a lot of important information to give you. (typing more)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is too expensive
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
My heart goes out to you. It sounds like you're in a really tough situation with your dog, but I'm grateful you're priority is on doing what can be done to keep him comfortable. The sad fact (that it sounds like you've already come to terms with) is that none of these medications will fix your dog's heart... we're only trying to relieve his symptoms for as long as possible, and we understand that eventually won't work. The only way we can know when we've reached that point is to try and fail. That's a difficult situation to be in. I will go over dosing information on these medications. There is always a range given, and most doctors will increase a patient's dose to the maximum until it is clear there is no more benefit to be gained. Herbals can often provide a little relief, so it doesn't hurt to try. You can rest assured they'll be safe and not do any harm. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
First, I need to clarify that it would be illegal and unethical for me to advise specific changes in your dog's prescription medication; that can only be done by your veterinarian. That being said, I *can* provide you with general information on how these drugs are used. I'll start with furosemide. In my practice, that's the only I really vary each dog's dose on... usually instructing the owner to increase the dose any time there is labored breathing, coughing, or a sleeping respiratory rate of more than thirty per minute.(Typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
As long as dog has healthy kidneys, furosemide doses ---- which usually start at 1mg per kg of body weight every 12 hours --- are often increased gradually up to a dose of 6mg per kg of body weight every 8 hours. Going higher than that doesn't seem to produce any additional benefit. This drug works by making the dog urinate, thereby drawing fluid off the congested lungs. That means a 30 pound dog (about 12 kg) would max out at 72mg of furosemide every 8 hours. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Pimobendan (the drug in Vetmedin) is labeled for use at 0.25mg per kg of body weight every 12 hours. Some vets will increase that dose up to a maximum of 0.3mg per kg of body weight every 8 hours. It's important to emphasize using both of these drugs in this way is not approved by the FDA. It's considered an "extra-label" use and should only be done based on an informed consent situation between the pet owner and the prescribing veterinarian. I think it goes without saying that this happens all the time because people are interested in trying to help pets who are otherwise nearing the end of their lives. Now... herbals...(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In very fragile patients, you can end up decreasing the effectiveness of some heart medications with the more aggressive herbs, so you have to be careful. Some patients will also experience a drop in blood pressure with some of those herbals. Generally considered "safe" would be omega fatty acids as a supplement for heart health and a turmeric-containing product. I would steer clear of anything else at this time. Lastly, I know it's breaking your heart seeing him cough and struggle to breath. Please be ready to accept that without rapid relief, it may be time to help ease his suffering and give him the gracious, compassionate, unselfish, and loving gift of humane euthanasia. Death from congestive heart failure would not be a good way to go, as his struggle to breathe will become worse. I don't mean to sounds harsh; I'm just focusing on what's best for him.I'm so sorry I don't have better news for you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Does this help to answer your question today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.I know this is an awful thing to go through. At least you can rest assured you're doing everything for him that you can. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
My thoughts will be with you.... I know this is a difficult thing to go through. I'm grateful your dog has you looking after him. Please take a moment to rate my response on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you today. I hope you're able to improve things for him.