Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat has paraparesis (hind limbs) the leg is not paralysis

Customer Question

My cat has paraparesis (hind limbs) the leg is not paralysis but he is not able to stand .no broken legs,bonds. Hips and pelvic looks ok .no info about spine!
No pain or inflamation, but he is not able to defecate ... What to do????
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry that Shasho has developed paraparesis; I can understand how distressed you must be.The most common causes for paraparesis in a cat this age are going to be:1. trauma2. aortic embolism3. spinal lymphoma4. Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)5. Disc diseaseSpinal x-rays and palpating femoral pulses will help with the first two. Unfortuantely, there are no specific treatments for aortic embolism.Most cats with spinal lymphoma are FeLV positive so it's important to check for this condition if not already done. And while x-rays may be suggestive of a problem, advanced imaging is usually needed to confirm.FIP is the hardest to diagnose -- high globulins and mild anemia are often seen when bloodwork is done but aren't specific to this condition. But, treatments are very limited and not terribly effective.Disc disease might also be suspected given his symptoms. Spinal x-rays might also help to pinpoint a problem but typically an MRI is needed. But, in terms of treatment, steroids may be the best hope for return to any sort of normal function, depending on the extent of the compression of the cord. In addition to additional diagnostics as mentioned above, you might consider laxatives which can help to soften his stools. He may not be able to defecate on his own but at least stool will be produced.And, I don't know if you've considered a wheelchair for him but many cats can live exceptional quality lives in one...although they do tend to be a management problem for their owners. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up on Shasho. How are things going with him? Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
Unfortunately Shaho has passed away :-(
Thank you for your concern and for your email.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm so terribly sorry to hear about Shasho:( My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Kindest regards, Deb