Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog just got prescribed loxicam but he is free fed with

my dog just got prescribed loxicam but he is free fed with 2 other dogs so i cant put it in his food can he have it on an empty stomach. was prescribed for a paw injury. 1.5mg/ml
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now we do advocate that this is given after food since there is a risk of stomach upset (ie appetite loss, vomiting, etc) if given on an empty stomach. Therefore, if Ben is free fed, it would be ideal to take him aside after you see him eat to give his daily dose. Or you could take him aside to offer a small treat (ie one of his usual treat, a few pieces of chicken or even deli meat) and then give the Loxicom by mouth afterwards. That way we can just avoid any risk of stomach upset for him. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )