Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is extremely lethargic. He has had blood tests also

Customer Question

My cat is extremely lethargic. He has had blood tests also exploratory op to see what was causing constipation with no reason found
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm not sure how much I can add after blood tests and an abdominal exploratory surgery have revealed nothing untoward. Are there any other symptoms besides constipation that you can tell me about? Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com. I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. How old is your cat and which breed is he, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cat is an 8 year old Siamese.i originally took him to vet because he was limping on his front leg .this had occurred also. A few weeks before when there was swelling and then an open wound . Vet said cat was likely to be biting himself because he was very constipated . Enema given .few days later was put on drip because de hydrated
Thank you. My first thought would have been that George was in a cat fight. In any event, chronic constipation appears to be the prime concern at this time? Is his current lethargy associated with his inability to defecate once again?
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George defacating normally with decent size stools every other day at present .he is walking very slowly and sleeping most of day. He is eating well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is not on medication at present.stitches have not yet been removed.
I can't blame constipation nor those drugs, then. I would entertain the notion that he isn't fully recovered from his surgery. I would like to review his test results, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will ask vet for them . Thank you .
I appreciate it. I'll watch for your next post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George seen vet today. Suggests continue with cisapride & Zantac .george put on weight which had been a concern. Happy about that. Do you agree with suggestion?
My only quibble would be to substitute famotidine (Pepcid Two) at a dose of 0.5 mg/kg once daily of the famotidine in Pepcid Two for the ranitidine (Zantac) which doesn't raise the stomach acid pH as high as does famotidine nor does its effect last as long. I'm pleased to hear that George has gained weight. What did his vet have to say about George's lethargy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She says has no answer . Suggested see specialist re why he had been constipated but would have to be taken to glouster. We live in Birmingham. I feel it is to far for him as he does not travel well
I understand. When chronic constipation in my feline patients fails to respond to cisapride and lactulose, I recommend that a subtotal colectomy be performed. That's a surgery for a specialist to be sure. Thankfully, George isn't currently constipated on his current regime. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for your advice
It's my pleasure. My best to George!