Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My chicken has started to limp. There are no signs of damage

Customer Question

Hi my chicken has started to limp. There are no signs of damage and no wounds but she is finding it difficult to put weight on her leg and is using her wings to help her up and for balance
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. How old is Bella, please? How long has she been lame? Please confirm that you've carefully examined her leg from her toes to her hip and found nothing untoward.Please check her eyes for me. Do you see one pupil larger than the other? Do you see a color change in her irises - from yellow to grey/blue? Are there any other symptoms you can tell me about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've fully checked her there's no swelling or abnormal heat coming from the leg, she seems to kick her left leg out before placing it on the ground. Bella is about 48 weeks old she is In excellent condition her eyes are bring her feathers are shining. She did stop laying for a couple of weeks but has now laid the past two days
Thank you for the additional information. At this point you'll need to have a hands-on examination by an an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) unless she remisses with aspirin alone. I dose aspirin at 325 mg (one adult aspirin) dissolved in 1 pint of drinking water. I don't see the harm in "watchful waiting" for up to 10 days to see if her lameness abates.Please continue our conversation if you wish.