Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has an infection that was diagnosed by a vet last night.

My dog has an infection that was diagnosed by a vet last night. Since then his ears have become swollen. Whilst I presume this is as a result of the infection is like a qualified person to tell me that
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Where was the infection located (since the medication suggests a gut issue)?
Has Nelson been shaking his head or scratching his ears?
Do they appear to be red and inflamed? Swollen like pockets of fluid in either ear?
How much does he weigh?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's been vomiting for a few days, although it's been less and less. And his poo has been runny, hence why the vet believes it to be in his gut, although he did say he also has an ear infection. He has been shaking his head for the past two or so weeks although we thought nothing of it. The swelling isn't red in colour, and to be honest it's hardly noticeable unless you know what his ears feel like normally. It feels quite hard, I wouldn't say it felt fluid like at all. Nelson weighs 58kgs. I would take a picture, but you wouldn't see anything abnormal, it's the feel of them that has me a little concerned although I'm sure I'm just being silly and it's part of the infection. He has only just begun taking medication today after all.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Now it is not silly to be concerned about sudden changes with Nelson's ears. And I would say that based off your further description, this sounds like a soft tissue inflammation of the ears from his shaking. This won't be related to the GI infection, the medications he has been given thus far and if it doesn't feel like fluid or severe distension (like a wee pillow) then a hematoma is unlikely as well.
In this situation, with his being treated for a GI issue, we may need to just monitor this. This is because we'd not want to necessarily use antihistamines (ie Piriton) or anti-inflammatories when the stomach is unsettled as they can cause GI upset too. That said, if you could see areas of distinct inflammation, you could apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream to soothe the swelling.
Overall, we do not really see ear swelling with gut infections. But if he had an ear infection too, then its likely this is inflammation from the head shaking. So, we'd want to make sure he is being treated for that ear infection at this point. And once his stomach is settled, those additional treatments can be used if need be to settle this for Nelson.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advice. I feel much better now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear. :)
All the best for Nelson and yourself,
Dr. B.