Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Me dog came in from the garden ,,pounting heavy shaking with

me dog came in from the garden ,,pounting heavy shaking with her tongue sticking out,,,,,,,,,,,any advice please
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog.(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. Itch, allergy, and fleas are all really complicated things to deal with and finding solutions takes a long time.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. she did have a bit of xmas cake tonight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems a ;ittle calmer now
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Glad you're there. In order to help me help you better, I'll need some additional information on your dog.How old is she?What kind of dog?Is she otherwise healthy?Does she take any medications?First of all, though, you should take a few minutes to rinse out her mouth with some water the best you can. Use a turkey baster or syringe. Remember, you are not trying to make her swallow; you are just rinsing from one side out the other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 year old staff,,,fine heath wize,,on no meds
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Good. I'm glad she is otherwise healthy. That makes all of this a lot easier. The most common reason a dog will come in from the garden acting this way is because she's bitten, chewed on, or even eaten something caustic or irritating. Biting a toad will do it. So will chewing an electrical cord. Mushrooms, garbage, other types of waste...The list goes on. Most of the time the symptoms --- while extreme at first--- subside over an hour or so. Rinsing the mouth helps to dilute the irritating thing and speeds recovery. (typing more)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you Dr
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In some cases there's more severe damage to the inside of the mouth and medical care is indicated.Here's what you'll need to do for now:Rinse the mouthTry to get a good look inside for any additional signs of a problem: lacerations, foreign bodies stuck in there, burns, blisters, etc. Observe for vomiting, diarrhea, labored breathing, seizures, and anything else that would indicate this is an emergencyCheck around the garden for any clues as to what she may have put in her mouth. If she gets worse or shows any other symptoms, seek medical care. As long as she continues to improve, it's okay to take a wait-and-see attitude. Does this help to answer your question?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.(rating option enabled) Offer Additional Service
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, her mouth seems normal inside,,she often runs in the house fast from the bottom of the garden, as if shes scared of something,,but never done this before
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear her mouth looks normal inside. Your instincts may be right. It's quite possible there is something out in the garden that frightens her and causes anxiety. Some dogs are more sensitive to this kind of thing than others. While it may be "safe" from from our perspective, it might still be scary to her. Regardless, I hope she recovers quickly and has no serious issues following. Thank you for using our website.