Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

MY CAT IS 8 HE ASNT BEEN HIMSELF 1 DAY HE EAT S THE NEXT

Customer Question

MY CAT IS 8 HE ASNT BEEN HIMSELF 1 DAY HE EAT S THE NEXT DAY HE DOESNT HE JUSTS WANTS TO LIE IN HIS BED AND STRUGGLES TO JUMP UP HE ISNT HOT AND HIS NOSE IS COLD HE IS GOINT TO TOILET AS NORMAL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is also lathargic just sitting there
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, Oliver's symptoms of lethargy and inappetence aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. In these cases, assessing his vital signs can tell us how urgent it is for him to be attended to by his vet.1) Please check his gums and tongue color. They should be nicely pink- not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (hypoxia/lack of oxygen to the tissues).2) Please check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute.3) Please check his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer placed 4 cm into his rectum for 1 minute should suffice. Normal is 38-39.2C. This is a two person job!Please let me know what you find.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.