Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My seven month old Irish setter was treated on Thursday

Customer Question

Hi my seven month old Irish setter was treated on Thursday for dishaorrehe has been fine in himself eating and drinking as normal and lively he strained a few times yesterday but passed nothing this morning he passed a smallish stool which seemed OK but has tried in yard a couple of times and again passed nothing my vet didn't seem worried about him advising to feed chicken and rice or scrambled egg and gave me probiotic to add to food he seems his normal self no sign of illness your advice would be much appreciated thankyou phil
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Phil and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is not unusual, Phil, for young puppies to have a mild digestive disturbance that is causing diarrhea because they are always ingesting odd things. Since Riley is acting normal, your vet is probably correct that this will resolve on its own. I would follow these instructions: .Fast Riley for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1) and eggs like your vet has recommended. If he is having close to normal bowel movements, Phil, then wean Riley back to his regular diet. In most cases such as Rileys. this treatment is effective. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Phil, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Riley feels better soon!
Happy Holidays!!