Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I think my hamster has eaten rat poison. What should I do?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. In this case, we have an emergency situation. This could cause your lad serious harm. Therefore, you will really want to get this poor hamster to the local emergency vet. They can treat him with activated charcoal to bind the poison. As well, since most brands kill by preventing the blood from clotting, the vet will need to start him on vitamin k. He will need to be on this for a few weeks, but if we act fast we can limit harm and help him survive this.
Just to note, all vets in this country do offer out of hours care, so do ring your vet urgently to get this lad help.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Called vet. Heading over very shortly. She's only eaten a couple of grains but then she's only tiny. Hope the vit K treatment will help her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
That's the best course of action here and by acting this quick we are giving her the best chance with this.
Best wishes for her,
Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)