Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Would like to ask questions regarding protein in urine west

Customer Question

would like to ask questions regarding protein in urine west 10 years old
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your dog's positive test for protein in her urine. The level of concern about urine protein depends upon whether she also shows signs of a urinary tract infection, as urinary tract infections artificially elevate protein levels due to red and white blood cells in the urine. If there is protein in the urine I recommend culturing it look for an infection.If she doesn't have an infection then we need to compare the amount of protein in her urine with her urine concentration. If her urine is highly concentrated (specific gravity of 1.045 or higher) with small amounts of protein I am less concerned. But if her urine is poorly concentrated (1.020 or less) with even small to moderate amounts of protein I start to get concerned. This may point toward poorly functioning kidneys and is a sign of early kidney failure. That would explain her elevated urine protein levels.A good test to run in a dog without a urinary tract infection and poorly concentrated urine is called a urine protein/creatinine ratio. This compares the amount of protein in her urine to the waste product creatinine. If she is spilling a high amount of protein compared to waste products then yes we do need to be concerned and we need to control her protein spillage with drugs, such as Enalapril or Benazepril. If she has high blood pressure that can certainly cause protein to spill into her urine so they should check her for high blood pressure as well. It may also be advised to start her on a diet formulated for kidney failure, such as Hills k/d or Royal Canin Renal LP if kidney failure is suspected.I will often recommend adding an omega 3 fatty acid supplement as well as a natural anti-inflammatory to hekp with kidney health. Your primary questions should be what her urine specific gravity is, and whether she has high blood pressure or signs of an infection on a urine culture, I can't say how concerned you should get and what sort of follow-up should be done. Her protein levels need to be taken in context.Hopefully this answers your questions.Please let me know if you have any further questions.