Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My female cat hurt her back let two weeks ago. It seemed to

Customer Question

My female cat hurt her back let two weeks ago. It seemed to be getting better but she went out again after we had kept her indoors. She is now limping badly and wagging her tail although she is laying down. We can't get to a vet until tomorrow. Is there anything we can give her for the pain? i.e. Asperin?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for your cat.Unfortunately, we're quite limited in over the counter pain options when it comes to cats...primarily because they are so sensitive to many medications which potentially could cause great harm.Aspirin can be given to them but you have to be really careful about the dose which is 81 mg (low dose) every three days, with food to avoid stomach upset.As long as your cat isn't vomiting nor has received a long acting steroid injection or isn't currently taking any steroids, then one dose now should be fine and may bring her much needed relief. Just be sure to tell your vet that she was given this drug if you do decide to give it to her. You definitely do not want to give her Acetaminophen since even a small amount could be toxic.I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I'm not equipped to take phone calls and hope that this format is acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience. Deb