Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has started drinking huge amounts of water at least

Customer Question

My dog has started drinking huge amounts of water at least 2 full bowls per day sometimes up to 3 I'm having to take him out at least twice during the night for a wee and he is going extra times during the day he has also lost weight
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Debbie, Sorry to hear Sam has a problem, however I have worked out an answer for you ... 1. Drinking excessively and weight loss such as you describe would always be quite a cause for concern, the chances are some significant disease process is causing these symptoms rather than it being anything simple. What I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the personal list I use when first presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease Sam is suffering from is here somewhere. 1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests5. Cushings syndrome I know this is not easy for you and Sam as he hates the vet but given the symptoms you describe the only advice I can give you is that you should have him checked over by your vet sooner rather than later, unfortunately there is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation. A quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter and then you can take it from thereI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** not be appropriate but I am diabetic mostly controlled by diet could I use a fresh needle and do a blood test with my monitor do dogs register glucose levels in the same way as us. I will try and find a different local vet who might be willing to take a look at him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the mean time is there anything I could do to help him
Hello again Debbie, Yes that's very possible, you can use a regular " human " glucometer to check your dog's blood glucose levels, normally use the ear edge to take the blood with a lancet in the same way as you prick the sides of your finger. { Normal levels range between 75mg - 120mg in the dog. } However excess drinking can be caused by a number of other disease situations. Sorry, there is nothing you can do at home to help a dog with the symptoms which Sam is showing, the first thing to do is to diagnose exactly what is going on and then take it from there. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help
No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me Sam's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, *****