Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog doesn't have any fleas but he is biting and scratching

My dog doesn't have any fleas but he is biting and scratching his back end to the point of making himself bold and I've notice that some parts are quite red with small specks of blood? Do dogs suffer from skin complaints?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Is he on any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around 8 to 9 days, I believe he is just over 3kg. He has no medical condition and is not on any medication.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
In response to your question, dogs can suffer from skin disorders. In this case, what you are describing could be related to: ***** ***** dermatitis, infections, mites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can try: 1- Need to stop him from licking/gnawing affected area or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- Chlorpheniramine 1-2 mg every 12 hours. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). 5- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter