Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

There I have nearly 3 years old Russian Blue cat called

Hi there
I have nearly 3 years old Russian Blue cat called Rosa.
When she was spayed they found out that she has only one kidney.
Vet put her on e renal diet ( Royal Canin) since then.
I have never got a second opinion but I would like to know if I am
Doing right thing for Rosa. She loves her dry food and I am not sure
if she needs to be on renal for the rest of her life
Ewa
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Ewa. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now in a situation of this nature, we tend to err on the side of caution since we cannot predict whether Rosa's remaining kidney will function normally through her life or struggle on its own as she ages. If she has normal kidney parameters on bloods and normal urinary concentration (since that is the kidney's main job), then one could argue that she doesn't need to be on the diet. That said, since we only have one kidney to rely on and need to consider her future (where kidney disease is one of the most common disease of the elderly cat), it is prudent to be reducing her kidney's workload as much as possible over her life time. Therefore feeding a diet that is lower in protein, sodium and phosphorus would be ideal.Therefore, I can say that if Rosa was my patient (or my kitty), I would keep her on a renal diet to ensure I was making that remaining kidney's work as easy for it as possible. It isn't a must but is as much a preventative we have for future issues. Furthermore, I would suggest always keeping a close eye on her water intake and urinary outputs to ensure they do not increase over the years. And you could even plan to collect a urine sample (keeping her overnight in a non-carpeted room with an empty litter box) prior to her annual booster visits so that the concentration (specific gravity) can be monitored since urinary dilution tends to be the first clue we get that the kidney is struggling. Hopefully that will always stay stable but it would be our way of keeping an eye on this for Rosa. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer
I have no other questions
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.I am glad that I could assist you today with wee Rosa. :)All the best & happy holidays,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.