Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog a ***** ***** x, when I take him walk we walk

my dog a ***** ***** x, when I take him for a walk we walk maybe 100 to 150 yards are then he stops and wants to lay down on his belly and his breathing is very deep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
Any coughing, sneezing, increased breathing noise or congestion?
When he lays down, does he have pale gums instead of pink?
Does he seem to breathe faster then 30 breaths in a minute?
Does Zak have any known heath issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just increased breathing, his gums are pink and no known health issues
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Now the reason for my range of question is because we can see this kind of behaviour with a few different issues associated with decreased oxygen levels reaching the cells of the body and the brain.
Now since Zak has no history of getting into anything toxic (ie rat bait, etc) and he has nice pink gums, we'd be less concerned about this being related to anemia (red blood cell loss). As well, if he has no coughing, sneezing or airway signs of that nature, an upper airway infection or pneumonia would be less likely. Instead, we'd have to be wary of a possible underlying lung disease (ie lungworm, bronchitis, lung mass, asthma) or a heart issue (and this often starts as pauses on walks but can progress to fainting for some dogs). Of course, we could also see this if he has joint pain, but it is less likely without other signs relating to that.
With this all in mind, even though these signs are subtle at this stage, it would be ideal to have a check with his vet this week (its not an emergency, but we'd want to have him take it easy until he is seen). If he is due a booster soon, you could consider moving that appointment up. That way we can get his vet to listen to his heart and lungs at this point. Depending on their findings, we may also want an xray to see what is amiss. And depending on that, we'll likely need to medically manage the underlying agent to get him breathing easier when he is active and trying to get enough oxygen for his body to be able to go for a walk with you.
All the best and happy holidays,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )