Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have been trying to convince my partner to get our male collie

I have been trying to convince my partner to get our male collie the snip for quite a while and he is still unconvinced our bitch has now just come into season is there a pill or something to give her to stop puppies?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to discuss your question about Ray.I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'd be grateful for any help
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Glad you're there!(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
As I said above, I'm really glad you're looking for information, because you're in a really difficult situation. As a licensed veterinarian with more than 20 years of experience, I'm here to tell you that - unfortunately - there are no medications that are recommended for use to prevent pregnancy in dogs. Your only option is to rely upon physical separation. I wish I had better news for you. With that in mind, it's important to acknowledge that dogs can be highly motivated and can accomplish the act through a chain link fence and have been known to go through screen doors, etc., so you will need to be very vigilant. (typing more)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I was to take our male to be snipped without my partners say so would he be infertile straight after the op
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Great question! I'm glad you're thinking about this so thoroughly. No... it takes a little while after castration before he'd be "shooting blanks", as it were. Let me look up exactly how long...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The consensus amongst reproductive specialists is to wait one month after castration before assuming a male is infertile.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
As I said, I wish I had better news for you, but you will have to rely on strict isolation to prevent pregnancy at this point in time. Many times people will find it easier to move one of the dogs to a different household for the duration of the heat cycle. I know this can be terribly inconvenient, but it's what it takes. Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?