Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Have a female cat called tonic. She seems and act healthy,

Hi have a female cat called tonic. She seems and act healthy, however for a while now she is vomiting every night at around 2am to 4am. I feed her high quality food. She drinks and go to toilet normally. After she vomit she does go to eat right away. Any thought. I will bring her to the vet tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she been doing this?
Was she on this diet before this started?
What dose the vomit look like?
What time does Tonic have dinner?
Any changes to her thirst or weight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been doing it for weeks. And only at night
I used to feed her with orijen dry food and organic wet food.
With the dry she used to swallow without chewing and in fact the vomit contained unchewed food.
I have them purchased food from james wellbeloved, larger pieces so she need to chew.
I have been portioning the food. In smaller sizes.
Normally I give the last meal at 6/7 pm the latest.
The color is brown normally, this morning however it was lighter in colour
She drinks normally and her weight seems stable.
She act normal, sleeps a lot and play with the other cat as usual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached a picture of her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Now to hear that she has vomiting overnight in the wee hours does make issues like GI infections, foreign bodies, or harmful ingestions less likely with Tonic.
Instead, we'd be most suspicious that of bilious vomiting syndrome. This is a condition that arises when the cat’s gall bladder jumps the gun, secretes bile before the cat has eaten and this abnormally enters the stomach from the intestine. This causes stomach upset and the cat will vomit contents of their stomach. Often we see it in the wee hours of the morning before breakfast and in cats that are otherwise well and not vomiting at other points in the day. In a way, it’s the gastrointestinal tract getting carried away in its anticipation to eat.
Now in regards ***** ***** these situations, we can find giving a later dinner, giving her small meal just before bed time, or leaving food down (if she isn't gluttonous) can halt this vomiting for them.
Though for more severely affected cats, we can give a small dose of an antacid at bedtime to keep the stomach settled overnight. If we need to do that, you can use a low dose of Calcium carbonate (20mg per kilogram of her weight) or have her local vet dispense a low dose Zantac for her (since the OTC tablets are too strong to use in cats).
Overall, Tonic's signs do sound like a reaction to bile in an empty stomach. Therefore, we can use the above changes to try to reduce that for her or speak to her vet about a trial on antacid at bedtime to offset this for her.
All the best, *****
PS- What a lovely girl with lovely eyes. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )