Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

We have two german shepherds. Our make who is six have been sick past fortni

Hello we have two german shepherds. Our make who is six have been sick for the past fortnight only at nightime or very early morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What is he bringing up in his vomit?
Can he keep food down at other points in the day?
Any blood in his stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mostly just liquid usually brown in colour and watery with sometimes cream coloured foam on top. He usually wolfs his food down, a mixture of mixer and wet and sometimes brings it up shortly afterwards the same as it went in often unchewed. Not too often though. No signs of blood. Currently when he has a drink that will come back up within 15 mins. He does seem to have this hiccups session sometimes after being sick a lot. Otherwise he is acting normaly. Ie he is always looking for food.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Would you say that brown is the color of his food? Not like coffee ground appearance?
Any black stool?
Are his gums nice and pink (as his companion's), not pale or white?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums look healthy. Usually brown mixer biscuits with fish or dog food, so yes brown is about right. No coffee ground appearance or black stools.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes with both dogs sharing the water, there can be a slimy film which builds up in the corners of the water bowl if it is not cleaned out properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also he sometimes sick and passing stools or mostly separately. He has done both on 2 or 3 occasions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good, I am glad that you aren't seeing any of that but I did just want to make sure (as those signs would suggest stomach ulcers). And just to note, the water bowl isn't like an issue, as the other dog is without symptoms.
Anyway, that aside, Miles sounds to have a low grade nausea. With the vomiting predominately being in the wee hours and just afterwards, I would be suspicious that we may have a bilious vomiting syndrome situation or that this vomiting is just side effect of the lower GI signs (since diarrhea can irritate the gut such that it triggers the vomiting center of the brain).
In regards ***** ***** vomiting syndrome, this is a condition that we commonly seen in dogs that can occur at any age or sex. It arises when the dog's gall bladder jumps the gun, secretes bile just before the dog has even eaten and this abnormally enters the stomach. This causes stomach upset and can trigger vomiting prior to or just after the morning feed. In a way, its his GI tract getting carried away in its anticipation to eat.
To tackle this condition, often we just need to feed him a bit earlier in the morning to beat that bile reflux. Alternatively, we find that giving a small meal just before bed time (if getting up earlier isn't feasible) can also reduce the risk of this early morning vomiting after breakfast.
Further to that and something we can use to help reduce nausea with both our potential differentials would be to treat him with an
antacid before bedtime (or pre-feeding). Common OTC options we could use here would be Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) or Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp up to every 8 hours). Of course, you will want to check with his vet if he has any ongoing issues or is on any medication you didn't mention.
As well, just since that loose stool does raise those other concerns, I would note some supportive care we can try for that. To start, it can help for both upper and lower GI upset to use a light diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.
Finally, since there was no blood in Miles's stool, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. And that could just help settle both for him if we have a benign upset.
Overall, his signs do raise a few suspicions here. Still we'd want to use the above to address each and see if we can settle him and get him back on track.
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. We will try these courses of action and see how he progresses. Thank you once again.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I am glad that I could give you a plan of action for Miles. :)
Happy holidays to you all,
Dr. B.