Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has just eaten somedsrk chocolate coated about

Customer Question

My dog has just eaten somedsrk chocolate coated nuts about 8 of them. And quite a few cachew nuts and hazelnuts and almonds.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How much does Ralph weigh { In pounds } ?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He weighs 18 pounds
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Probably only 5-10 grand tops of dark chocolate. Rest where nuts
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
5-10g even
Hello again James I have worked out an answer for you ... 1. I do not think there is any need to take any special measures here, while dark chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than Ralph ate before you would see signs of serious toxicity. And nuts are not toxic to dogs as such, so your dog should be just fine. I say this because :2. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 18 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 5.4 ozs { More than 1/4 pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Your dog may be thirsty for a while and you may perhaps see a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea but really I would not expect to see even that that. The chocolate coating on the nuts will not come anywhere near a toxic dose for your weight of dog3. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment. 4. Here is a link to an accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog which covers the topic in more depth : LINKI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again James,I am just checking back in to see how Ralph is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate nuts incident ...How are things going?Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.