Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a bunny which has had a problem with his eye

I have a bunny which has had a problem with his eye since yesterday. Today he's got a running nose in addition. There is pus coming out of his eye. Is there anything I could do before going to the vet?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are you seeing any clouding/hazing, redness, or changes to the eyeball itself?
Any sneezing?
What color is the nasal discharge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ,I saw the redness yesterday,no sneezing, there is a bit of white discharge from nose, but not a lot, I can hear him breathing louder than normally, I cannot see his eyeball now as it is full of pus, is there anything i could wipe his eye with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also saw half of hazing in his eye yesterday. He is very lethargic today, drinking a bit of water and he's eaten some veggie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had his annual vaccination. He is usually running in the garden if that might help. Maybe caught some cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I washed his eye with the camomile yesterday, hopefuly I didn't make it worse:(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His eyelid is swollen and falling a bit down.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Now if we have nasal discharge and more important increased breathing noises, we need to tread with care. This is because this suggests that we don't have a sole eye infection but instead have an upper airway infection with eye involvement. And these can quickly overwhelm rabbits and lead to pneumonia and deterioration.
In regards ***** ***** care for the moment, you can flush those eyes with sterile saline. This can be found as OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. This can be used a few times daily to flush the pus out and reduce the bacterial load here.
Otherwise, if you have a rabbit that is looking this off color (remember they do hide that they are unwell until the illness gets advanced), we need to make sure he keeps eating, drinking, and breathing as comfortably as possible. If he sounds congested, you can steam treat him by taking him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. And if his appetite is reduced, then we may need to syringe feed him (you can use veggie baby food with his pellets crushed in for the short term) to prevent him going off food and developing gastric stasis (a rabbit emergency).
Finally, just in case he deteriorates over today, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. Even if they are not open, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too.
Overall, I am concerned that there is more then just an infection causing your little one's signs. So, we can flush that eye just now but need to reduce any congestion with steam treatment and keep him eating until his local vet can examine him and start antibiotics.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help Dr.B. I will do as you recommended and if it gets worse I will take him to the clinic.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
Best wishes for your lad,
Dr. B.
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have one more question. I have a baby nasal sea water . Is it different than the one you told me?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I have had a wee peek at its ingredients/specifications and that would be fine to use here. :)
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you:)