Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My sons dog attact my rabbit yesterday

Customer Question

hi my name is sheena
my sons dog attact my rabbit yesterday he took some clumps of fur off but i think she may have a broken one of her ribbs what would you advise me to do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did the dog break the skin?
Why do you think a rib has been broken?
Are you feeling a boney crunching when handling? Is it sticking out?
How is she? Eating, drinking, moving normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dog didnt break any of the skin you can see her ears are sore
we think the rib is broken as there is a sharp lump on her side
she is eating ok and drinking ok and hopping about today a bit slow but seems ok realy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
If there is a new sharp one-sided lump present, then we are in a situation where we do need her seen for an xray and strong rabbit safe pain relief.
I appreciate she is appearing ok, but remember that rabbits play down injuries (since instinct tells rabbits that showing pain makes you a target for predation). And we know from human experience that bone fractures are painful. Furthermore, we need to see how this fracture is lying since any misalignment will prevent healing and risk lacerating the organs within the chest (heart, lungs) and could be detrimental.
Overall, while it is good to hear that she didn't suffer any wounds, and her ears should heal with topical care, this sharp lump does raise worries of rib fracture and that is a real worry. Therefore, we'd be best to have her seen today or keep her confined (no jumping around and jostling this) until her vet is open. That way we can get her onto pain relief as this heals (which takes 4-6 weeks) and just make sure we don't have a misaligned bone that could cause her serious harm and impede that healing.
Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have her seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/ ) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have her seen today too.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )