Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Spanial has developed kennel cough symptoms today 26/12..

Customer Question

Hi my Spanial has developed kennel cough symptoms today 26/12.. However my concern is a very young puppy visited my home two days ago for a short visit.. What are the chances the puppy will develop symptoms also?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because your pup Woody has developed kennel cough symptoms and you had a young puppy visit two days before his symptoms started.Most shedding of the infectious agents that cause kennel cough is seen after we start to see symptoms. The largest shedding is in the first 7-10 days after the pup starts to show symptoms, and in smaller amounts for up to 6-14 weeks. There is a very small amount of shedding up to 2-3 days before symptoms begin, but this is relatively small compared to the amount of shedding after symptoms begin.We cannot accurately estimate the odds of the youngster developing symptoms because we do not know what exactly is causing your pup's symptoms. There are a complex of infectious agents that cause "kennel cough" symptoms, viruses and bacteria, including parainfluenza virus, Bordetella bronchiseptica, and mycoplasma, and less commonly Canine adenovirus type 2, reovirus, and canine Herpes virus. Whether the pup gets sick or not depends upon how much close contact the two had, whether they shared food and water bowls and the degree of shedding your pup was doing at that time.In most cases at the time the two were together if they did not have prolonged, personal contact in a closed environment, and did not share food and water bowls the pup may not get sick. It of course also depends upon the pup's immune system and the antibodies passed on to the pup from mom. If she was vaccinated for kennel cough that will help protect the pup as well.At this point all you can do is wait and see if the pup gets sick. If the little one is going to get sick I would expect that to occur within the next 10-14 days. If he remains well in two weeks time odds are he won't get sick.Please let me know if you have any further questions.