Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has been taking steroids lung infection. He is

Customer Question

My dog has been taking steroids for a lung infection. He is breathing heavily and seems to be in distress. He last had a dose of prednisolone around 20 hours ago. Can you advise- obviously we will not give him any more.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Kipper. Please clarify if lung infection is accurate. I can't think of any bacterial or viral lung infection that would benefit from steroids which are generally contraindicated in the face of infection. Steroids are usually prescribed for a sterile, chronic bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and pulmonary fibrosis and other interstitial lung diseases.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.