Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat jumped out of my window and her paw appears broken.

Customer Question

My cat jumped out of my window and her paw appears broken. Shes eating and sleeping. But not used her litter tray, she hasnt walked on it but she purrs and lets you pet her. No vets near me are open and i cant afford emergency vets prices
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question about your cat hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. I'm sorry that your cat decided to jump out your window and has injured her paw. I assume whatever pain medication you gave her is one which has been dispensed for her (or one of your other cats) in the past and thus would be safe to use. It's quite possible that she has broken bone(s) in her foot although I've seen some cats with ligament or soft tissue damage not use the affected limb either. Without an x-ray, we can't know for sure, of course.If you were wondering about splinting the leg or foot, I wouldn't advise it for several reasons:1. Bandages tend to slip off really easily.2. If they're applied too tightly, then more swelling can occur which could make the situation worse. Most cats are pretty smart about their bodies and she should be able to manage just fine with the use of only three legs. You'll want to keep her confined in a small space if you can so that she's restricted from jumping off and on furniture.She should be able to use the litterbox just fine but I'd remove any covers if present. As strange as it sounds, even if she does has a broken leg, waiting another day for your vet to evaluate her should be fine. I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up on your cat. How is she doing? Deb