Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My yorkie has developed a lump to one side of his throat its

My yorkie has developed a lump to one side of his throat its like an egg - he is eatin and dosent see to be in any pain
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. It sounds as if he may have an enlarged lymph node if this lump you've found is just to the side of his throat and about halfway down from his jaw and neck. A picture may be helpful if you can send one. This LINK( http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert) walks you through the process. If this is an enlarged submandibular lymph node and not a fatty mass (aka lipoma which is soft like an egg), then this usually develops when there's something going on in the mouth...usually infection secondary to an issue with the teeth. An infection may not be obvious when you peek in his mouth since they can develop at the tooth root but a dental x-ray could detect such an issue.I've also seen enlarged submandibular lymph nodes secondary to dental tartar/calculus or periodontal disease which is fairly common in this breed. If both lymph nodes are enlarged, a problem in the mouth is still the most common cause; however, if others are enlarged, then this may be more serious.I wouldn't consider this to be an ER type of situation, especially since he's otherwise acting normally, but I might have it checked out next week by your vet. I hope this helps. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Deb
This lump is quite big and shaped like an egg but even when iv put my fingers around it Max dosent seem to flinch as if thgere is pain . I cant send a pic as hr is sleeping but when i look at him straight on he looks a bit like someone who has a swollen gland - larger one side than the other
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. I understand about not being able to take a picture right now but if you manage to do so, I may be able to tell you if this looks like the location would be consistent with a lymph node.Neither a lymph node nor a lipoma would be painful so I'm not surprised that he doesn't mind your messing with it. Deb