Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a poorly Pug who cant stop vomiting even on an empty

Customer Question

I have a poorly Pug who cant stop vomiting even on an empty stomach and is " leaking" clear fluid from the other end too, please help...
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he leaking fluid from the rectum? 3- Did he get into anything? 4- How much does he weigh? 5- Does he have diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1, just this morning about Three hours ago, 2, Yes, 3, Cant be certain, but he does have an unhealthy appetite for Cat poo! usually from the garden. (we have a lot of cats around here)... 4, he weigh's around 7Kg, 5 Yes.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is the clear liquid that is leaking out of his rectum like jelly? 2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The liquid is a little like a gel but clear like water...
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's begun drinking again .....! A good sign I hope!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the clear gel you are seeing is mucus. When we see mucus from the rectum it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The vomiting and diarrhea are a consequence of the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. In the meantime, it is important to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Stop him from drinking for now or he may vomit again. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've removed his water but so far he seems to be retaining it so some improvement, I hope!.. thank you for the advice..I'll let his owner, My Step daughter, know what has been going on and let her do the vet visit as soon as possible. So far he seems to rallying a bit but early days...!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Fair enough. You're welcome.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a lot brighter now after this mornings ordeal but I'll keep him off the food for a few more hours yet. he's not vomitted for a while now and the discharge has ceased too, He's a strong little dog!
Thanks for the 5* advice!..
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Great, happy to learn he is doing better. Thank you for the update and excellent rating. Dr. Peter