Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 10year old Labrador has had diarrhoea since Xmas eve,

My 10year old Labrador bitch has had diarrhoea since Xmas eve, and there is blood in it, she has had her normal food, nothing else. Is this serious or do we just wait it out?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting? 2- Is she lethargic? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She vomited just once on Xmas day, not lethargic, no other symptoms or medical conditions
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when we see diarrhea with blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon. This can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. In addition, the pepto bismol will make the bleeding worst. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. She will also benefit from starting her on a prescription medication called Metronidazole (flagyl). Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer, you have put my mind at rest, I will take her to our vet tomorrow asap.