Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Wondering if you can advise please. My cat somewhat

Hi, wondering if you can advise please.
My cat somewhat is bleeding from her private parts that haven't seen before. Cat is 7 years old and an indoor cat therefore definitely not pregnant. I have checked and it looks like a pus, whitey and reddish like just like when you pop a big spot on your face. Just ignore it for a few days but she is unusual for being quite when she meows and try to talk to you most of the time. Anything I can do for her or anything I can buy to give her? anti- biotics? Please advise. Much appreciated.
Juni
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I have a question before I can help you properly. You indicated she is indoor only and not pregnant, is it safe to assume she is not spayed? Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, not spayed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen her bleed since we have her... just recently. I presume it is a sort of urinary infection as she is eating just fine but so quite not her usual self
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
This is really bad news unfortunately. Assuming that the discharge is coming from her vulva and not her anus, or through the skin near her anus then almost certainly she has an infected uterus called pyometra. A uterine infection is pretty much the only cause of both blood and pus through the vulva. The reason this is bad news is that there is no over the counter treatment and in fact there is no medicine that will get rid of this problem. Powerful prescription antibiotics will stop the current problem temporarily but as long as she has her uterus this problem WILL come back, it's just a matter of when. Each time the infection it comes back it can cause blood toxicity and rapid death. This is not to be ta***** *****ghtly. The only reason she is not acting more sick ... yet... is that the blood and pus is draining and not stuck in the uterus. She must see her vet as soon as possible and you can expect surgery to be recommended. Only surgical removal of the infected uterus will fix the problem permanently. The reason that I don't suspect a urinary infection is that pus is almost never seen with a urinary infection, only small volumes of occasionally bloody urine and no drainage. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more question. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much... will bring to see the vet tomorrow. Much appreciated. Thank youJuni
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Good luck to you both, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating please. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do thank you
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks.
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very efficient and spot on answers. Brought my cat to the vet the next day and been on surgery the following day. Have my other cat checked in as well and apparently been suffering the same case, so need to have that booked in for surgery as well. Cost me massively and out of my budget... but cats are now recuperating and after 3 days cats seems to be back to normal self.
Thank you much appreciated.