Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog was looking through the bin and I think ate some

Hi, my dog was looking through the bin and I think ate some of the turkey bones. He yelps when trying to go to the toilet. His appetite hasn't been effected but was wondering if there is anything I could do to reduce pain when he is going to toilet as I think he is afraid to try to go now and is getting irritable and can't lie in one place.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I’m sorry to hear that your fellow got into the garbage and may have eaten some turkey bones. I am glad to hear that his appetite is still good.These bones are dangerous as they splinter quite easily and can cause a perforation or they can break into hard, small pieces and can make passing stools difficult and painful.To help I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to him bite sized piece by piece or he will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the bones pieces slip rather than catch.For the next few days, until the bones pass, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the bone pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated by contracting on just bone.A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.You'll need to check his stools frequently for bone pieces in the next few days.Also add warm water or low salt broth to increase hydration and keep stools soft.Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.If you aren't seeing bone fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the bones are is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.Once the pieces are passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.Let me know if you have any questions.