Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

10 year old cairn terrier got a small lump on her back

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tony,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Is Pip showing any other symptoms of any sort { No matter how minor } ?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today not moving much just wants to sit by my side
Hello again Tony, Sorry to hear Pip is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. It is probably unlikely that the lethargy and clingy behaviour you are seeing is related to the lump on her back. This would be much more likely to be caused by something like running a fever or any sort of condition causing any degree of discomfort. 2. As far as the lump on her back goes the situation is that middle aged and older dogs commonly get small cysts, abscesses, skin tags and soft warts and various other varieties of non malignant bumps and lumps, the vast majority of them are absolutely nothing to worry about at all. I frequently am asked about them during vaccination consults and my usual answer is just to monitor the situation and if you see any changes such as more rapid growth or changes in colour and texture then have the dog checked again for possible surgical removal.3. However there are no guarantees over the internet and there is always the chance that a very few of these could be malignant and therefore a cause for concern. Accordingly if you want to be 100% safe then you should have your vet check your dog over but this could be done at a normal opening hours consult as this is rarely an emergency. 4. As far as the lethargy and other behaviour goes if this continues then Pip would be best checked by a vet sooner rather than later. Normally I like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible. In the meantime until you can get her to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is eating and taking fluids regularly. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Tony , Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Pip's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, *****