Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My long haired mini dachshund ate (we think) some solid fat

My long haired mini dachshund ate (we think) some solid fat cleared from a blocked drain on Monday tea time. She may also have injested some sheep poo. (Unusually she was running free as we were trying to widen a stream bed before the next rains.).
The fat contains little lumps of other debris not identified.
She ate nothing yesterday did regular wees' & small green poo last night last night & normal one earlier. Her temp seems low side of normal for a dog but we only have a human ear thermometer. Tried to encourage little drinks & ate small amount of food this am.
She did green vomit in the night. She is lethargic - just wants to sleep. Have to carry her outside to make her go to toilet. She will lift her head to look at someone coming in - would normally rush to greet them. Eyes bright. Keeping a light fleece over her to keep warm. Her stomach is not making much gurggling noise as I might expect. Does she need to be seen?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting since last night?
Can she keep the water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Any access to rat bait?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomit since last night
Can keep water down
Gums pink & slightly sticky
No tummy tenderness but feels full & firm
No rat bait
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
First, I am glad to hear that her vomiting wasn't profuse and that her gums are nice and pink. Though those slightly sticky gums need to monitored as they are an early stage sign that dehydration is starting to creep in.
Now based on Millie's history and signs, I'd be concerned that the fat specifically has caused a severe gastroenteritis or a pancreatitis. And I would note that the latter is a common feature when dogs eat fatty material. As well just to note, sheep feces often doesn't cause them issue or a bit of diarrhea if anything.
In both cases, if she isn't sore and isn't vomiting, then we can try supportive care with her. That said, since her lack of appetite does support nausea still being an issue, we again need to proceed with care. And if she doesn't respond in the next few hours, then we'd be best to have her seen so that injectable anti-nausea medication, gut safe pain relief, appetite stimulants +/- antibiotics can be given.
In the meantime, in regards ***** ***** supportive care, there are a few things you can try. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) or Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.
If she can keep that down and steadies, then we'd want to tempt her with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and can help with pancreatitis cases too.
Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).
Overall, we do have a few concerns for the signs we are seeing here. Therefore, we can use the above for her just now. Though if she doesn't settle, cannot keep the above or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above over this morning; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can confirm which issue is present and start her on those aforementioned injectable treatments to get her back to feeling like herself.
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** carefully reading your reply. This is probably as much as you can do for us now. We will act on your suggestions and get her seen if needed. Thanks again. Sally
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I am glad that I could give you a plan of action here and all the best for wee Millie.
Take care,
Dr. B.