Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

We have found blood in our cats poop the last few days. Is

We have found blood in our cats poop the last few days. Is this of concern, I assume so?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that you are noticing blood in your kitty's stool.Blood in the stool tells us that the gastrointestinal tract is so irritated it is bleeding.That can be from gastrointestinal parasites, viral or bacterial infections, eating things he should not have (toy pieces, bones, toxins such as rat poison), a quick diet change, inflammatory bowel disease or dietary allergies/sensitivities. If he is an older cat then tumors would be a possibility as well. Finally an anal gland infection or impaction are also possible causes.If he is feeling fine otherwise, eating drinking and playing normally, I wouldn't rush him into a veterinarian today.I would recommend that you submit a few fresh stools sample to his regular veterinarian today or tomorrow and ask that it be sent out to the laboratory to check it for parasites.If he has had new treats lately or you've switched foods I would discontinue those and go back to his regular food/treats after this episode.For now I would food fast him for 12 hours to settle his irritated gastrointestinal tract.After his food fast I recommend feeding a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to increase palatability and fluid intake. I recommend adding 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal to soothe his colon.If he continues to have bloody stools after his food fast and bland diet, doesn't eat, becomes lethargic or begins vomiting then he should see his veterinarian for an examination, checking his anal glands, further diagnostics, probably intravenous fluids and supportive care.If he does well on the bland diet after a few days slowly convert him back to regular food by adding more regular cat food and less bland at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to convert him back.Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is very helpful. Our cat is almost 9 years old. Is acting normally so far. We live in Ireland so it may be difficult to get canned pumpkin, esp this time of year. Is there anything else you could recommend?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I understand that canned pumpkin isn't readily available in the UK, other options are bran or Psyllium fiber (Metamucil) products used for people with chronic constipation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Re the chicken, can I just cut it up finely, minced chicken is hard to get. She's only had cat food so it will be interesting if she eats it, but might love real food!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I missed your last question. By minced I just meant finely cut up chicken rather than big chunks of chicken. Most cats love the taste and smell of the bland diet. If you warm it a little by putting it in the microwave and adding warmed broth that increases the odor, which is very important for palatability in cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you Dr Kara. You've been very helpful. I am hoping this works and our cat is fine:)
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Happy New Year!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not eating the bland food, though she must be hungry. Shall we just wait and assume she'll eventually eat it? Our vet is closed for the holidays so will have to wait till next Monday to give them stool sample.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry she won't eat the bland food. I don't want her to not eat for several days, that can lead to secondary liver disease as they break down fats for energy to live. You can try warmed baby food with or without rice too.If she won't eat for more than 24-48 hours then try feeding small meals of her normal diet, perhaps the fast alone will be enough to calm things down.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.