Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 16year old poodle has been on furosemide and vetmedin for

Customer Question

my 16year old poodle has been on furosemide and vetmedin for a couple of years now due to heart problems we were advised to increase the medication as she is constantly coughing and restless, although she is still eating she has got a lot worse in the last couple of days, she is now messing in the house which is not like her. I know she will leave us soon so I have stopped her medication as she was constantly drinking so much so she was making herself sick, am I doing the right thing, I don't want her to suffer, I just want her to slip away quietly. can you advise. Carol
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Carol,and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry for your situation...I know how hard this can be and there does come a time when the Congestive Heart Failure becomes so severe that the medications cannot keep up with the amount of damage and stops working to ease your sweet girl's suffering. I would hesitate to advise you Carol, to discontinue the medications since, when this is done, your sweet girl will be suffering even more and this is not fair to her. This causes excessive fluid inside the chest cavity so much that she will nto eb able to breath and essentially drown. The better thing for your wonderful gal, Carol, is to keep up with the medications, spend some quality time with her and then prepare yourself and your family to say good bye in a much more humane way wit the help of your veterinarian. This will be the kindest thing you can do for your precious girl, Carol. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Carol, for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know this is very hard for you, Carol, but I also know you will do what is best for your precious girl!
Happy New Year!