Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

There. I am monitoring my dog closely as she managed to

Hi there. I am monitoring my dog closely as she managed to get hold of some hazelnut milk chocolate around 6 hours ago. I will take her to vet immediately if I see any worrying signs, however in the mean time I was wondering wether I should feed her dinner tonight, or if it would be better to let her flush her system out with water only?
Thank you a much for taking the time to read this. And Happy New Year to you.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. Depending on her size and the amount of milk chocolate she ingested, there may not be much to worry about but in terms of addressing your question: As long as she's not vomiting, I'd go ahead and feed her whatever you'd normally feed her. If she should develop diarrhea (which is usually around 12-24 hours after ingestion), then a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve the problem within a day or so. I hope this helps and that she remains symptom free. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Deb Thank you so much for the prompt reply. She is an adult small dog (11kg) and it was a small quantity so I am hoping she will be fine as she hasn't displayed any signs of concern so far. I was concerned that by feeding her I would allow any toxins to absorb and create a more serious issue, but I am relieved to receive your advice and know that it should be alright to feed her tonight.
Thank you very much again for your help, Happy New Year to you.
- Miss Mariam Hamarain
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Mariam: You're more than welcome although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back. She would have had to ingest 3-6 ounces for mild to moderate signs to be seen (vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness); if she ate less than that, then she shouldn't have any signs at all....which, hopefully, is the case. Best of luck with her. I also hope that you both have a good new year:) Kind regards, Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Mariam:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Deb