How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 10157
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

There. I am monitoring my dog closely as she managed to

Resolved Question:

Hi there. I am monitoring my dog closely as she managed to get hold of some hazelnut milk chocolate around 6 hours ago. I will take her to vet immediately if I see any worrying signs, however in the mean time I was wondering wether I should feed her dinner tonight, or if it would be better to let her flush her system out with water only?
Thank you a much for taking the time to read this. And Happy New Year to you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. Depending on her size and the amount of milk chocolate she ingested, there may not be much to worry about but in terms of addressing your question: As long as she's not vomiting, I'd go ahead and feed her whatever you'd normally feed her. If she should develop diarrhea (which is usually around 12-24 hours after ingestion), then a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve the problem within a day or so. I hope this helps and that she remains symptom free. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Deb Thank you so much for the prompt reply. She is an adult small dog (11kg) and it was a small quantity so I am hoping she will be fine as she hasn't displayed any signs of concern so far. I was concerned that by feeding her I would allow any toxins to absorb and create a more serious issue, but I am relieved to receive your advice and know that it should be alright to feed her tonight.
Thank you very much again for your help, Happy New Year to you.
- Miss Mariam Hamarain
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Mariam: You're more than welcome although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back. She would have had to ingest 3-6 ounces for mild to moderate signs to be seen (vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness); if she ate less than that, then she shouldn't have any signs at all....which, hopefully, is the case. Best of luck with her. I also hope that you both have a good new year:) Kind regards, Deb
Dr. Deb and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Mariam:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Deb