Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog went to the vet yesterday as has found out that she

Hi my dog went to the vet yesterday as has found out that she has twisted her back. Her back legs are no use to her she can't stand on them at all and when she gets up she just collapses with her legs together. Yesterday she poohed in the house whilst door was open which is not like her at all. She just poohed all over my partner And whines now and again. She has got anti flammattry liquef to have 1 a day but I don't see how that can help she is 14years old. Please help
Thanks Sophie
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Did Jessie's signs come on gradually? Or did this start suddenly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They came on suddenly
Did they take x-rays of her spine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they didn't
Ok, from your description, I am very worried about a slipped disk causing her paralysis. We can also see tumors of the spine, but the signs are usually more gradual.
I strongly recommend having her rechecked at another facility. I would start with x-rays to rule out evidence of a tumor. If we find no other cause, we should consider surgery on her back to decompress her spinal cord. If we do not deal with this aggressively, she could be permanently paralyzed if she has a herniated disk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok we going to get her checked at diff vet
Good luck. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will thank you so much for your help
You're very welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are doing X-rays and blood and She staying in overnight
Great. I hope to hear a positive update soon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will keep you up dated we will know more tomorrow but cos of her age they can't operate
OK, I'll be watching for it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi they took X-rays to rule out tumours which was good. But she had a slipped disk that went into her spinal cord and cos she was 15 she could not operate. They found out that her kidneys were slowly failing as they took bloods as well she was in so much pain over night that the pain relief and tramadol was not helping. So the vet said that it was unlikely that Jessie would be able to walk again as she had arthritis too and cud of her age. So with the diffcult decision on what to do we had to let her go and be put to sleepšŸ˜¢ I would like to thank you so much for your help and advice it really really helped. Thanks again
Sophie Merrett
I am so sorry for your loss Sophie. I wish that we could have cured Jessie, but at least you were able to prevent her from suffering.