Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog went to the vet yesterday as has found out that she

Customer Question

Hi my dog went to the vet yesterday as has found out that she has twisted her back. Her back legs are no use to her she can't stand on them at all and when she gets up she just collapses with her legs together. Yesterday she poohed in the house whilst door was open which is not like her at all. She just poohed all over my partner And whines now and again. She has got anti flammattry liquef to have 1 a day but I don't see how that can help she is 14years old. Please help
Thanks Sophie
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Did Jessie's signs come on gradually? Or did this start suddenly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They came on suddenly
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Did they take x-rays of her spine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they didn't
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, from your description, I am very worried about a slipped disk causing her paralysis. We can also see tumors of the spine, but the signs are usually more gradual.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
I strongly recommend having her rechecked at another facility. I would start with x-rays to rule out evidence of a tumor. If we find no other cause, we should consider surgery on her back to decompress her spinal cord. If we do not deal with this aggressively, she could be permanently paralyzed if she has a herniated disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we going to get her checked at diff vet
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Good luck. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will thank you so much for your help
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are doing X-rays and blood and She staying in overnight
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Great. I hope to hear a positive update soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will keep you up dated we will know more tomorrow but cos of her age they can't operate
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll be watching for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi they took X-rays to rule out tumours which was good. But she had a slipped disk that went into her spinal cord and cos she was 15 she could not operate. They found out that her kidneys were slowly failing as they took bloods as well she was in so much pain over night that the pain relief and tramadol was not helping. So the vet said that it was unlikely that Jessie would be able to walk again as she had arthritis too and cud of her age. So with the diffcult decision on what to do we had to let her go and be put to sleepūüėĘ I would like to thank you so much for your help and advice it really really helped. Thanks again
Sophie Merrett
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry for your loss Sophie. I wish that we could have cured Jessie, but at least you were able to prevent her from suffering.