Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My Labrador was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia at 7 months

Customer Question

my Labrador was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia at 7 months old, he is now 4=3 and has shown no symptoms for 2 years but he got up this morning with a severe limp
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry to hear that Oscar was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia at such an early age. It's certainly possible that his current limp is associated with this pre-existing condition since he could have exacerbated it in some way. It's also equally possible that he is experimenting a strain or sprain or what we call a soft tissue injury.I've also seen dogs with tick diseases develop an acute limp although these dogs are usually also showing other signs such as a fever or generalized stiffness and sometimes no interest in food. As long as he's not vomiting and isn't currently taking any steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, Aspirin can be given since it contains not only anti-inflammatory properties but anti-pain ones as well. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.Another option would be Acetaminophen (Tylenol) at dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice daily but care should be taken if you have cats that they don't have access to it since it can be toxic for them.My only hesitation about its use would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe if he has to be seen; however, several doses should be fine. I'd also walk him on a leash when he's outside to help prevent further injury to the limb and try to discourage jumping off and on furniture if he's allowed to do so. I hope this helps and that he's feeling better soon. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is no better today, is this condition likely to flare up like this, he has had leash walking for the last few days due to the weather
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
With most soft tissue injuries, there's usually slow but steady improvement each day; if you only started Aspirin yesterday, then it may be too soon to see any changes just yet. If you didn't start it at all, then leash walking alone probably won't be enough.If his arthritis is flaring up, then he may need stronger drugs than Aspirin such as Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Meloxicam or Previcoxx which would have to be dispensed by your vet. If there's no improvement at all, then there may be something else going on such as a tick disease; if that's the case, then he'd need antibiotics before you saw a positive change.I suppose it's possible that he might have broken a bone if he's a really active puppy but I'd expect him to show localized pain when you manipulate his leg/elbow. Deb