DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

I recently bought a 17Yr, 16hh Anglo Arab gelding with

Hello!
I recently bought a 17Yr, 16hh Anglo Arab gelding with sarcoids, and was wondering what the best way to treat them is? They're around the base of his tale and as far as i'm aware they haven't been treated for at least the past year.
what should I do?? Is it dangerous if they go untreated??
- Thanks in advance,
Honor
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I would first ask....are you certain they are sarcoids? Have they been biopsied and diagnosed as such? There are other types of masses that occur in the area near the base of the tail that can be more serious like melanomas on grey horses and squamous cell carcinoma. It's important to be sure of what you are dealing with. That being said here are my thoughts on sarcoids....They are generally benign and do not cause pain or spread or grow. But some can be a problem locally if they are growing a bit or the area they are in they get rubbed and irritated. Around the tail is certainly one of those areas where they could cause a problem depending on the size and number. If you feel they are not being rubbed, irritated, or hurting the horse, then it is fine to leave them alone and just keep an eye on them. If it appears that they are causing a problem or pain, there are several treatments available. The best treatment is surgical removal if possible and subsequent treatment with freezing (cryotherapy) but sometimes this is not possible if the area is not amenable to surgery. In these cases, I would recommend a immune stimulant treatment with the drug Zylexis. This medication is injected first near the lesions and then subsequently intramuscularly every week for several weeks. Over this time, it stimulates the immune system to attack the sarcoids. They don't always go away but generally you can get them smaller. I have had the most success with this treatment. There are other possible treatments which you may discuss with your veterinarian but these two are the ones I use most often in my patients. I hope this helps. Best of luck.