Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 10 month old Cocker Spaniel who has just had

I have a 10 month old Cocker Spaniel bitch who has just had a operation to correct a grade 2 Luxating Petella - she is from a good pedigree with no previous history of this condition, I intended to mate her with my 3 year old Cocker dog. I have received differing advice whether I should breed from her has this is a genetic complaint. Your opinion would be appreciated
Martin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I'm Dr. B and would like to help you today.
Now this is a question of ethics. Patellar luxation is a genetic trait (one of the top 5 we see) and her offspring would be predisposed. It isn't a fatal flaw as you know, but it one that has the potential to cause a future pup pain and future owners the expense of having it repaired. Therefore it'd not be ideal or advisable to use her for breeding from an ethical point of view. But as its not a fatal condition, you can choose to do so and just make future owners aware of the risk should one of her pups inherit this from her.
Take care,
Dr. B.