Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I've given my puppy 1 mil of oramorph by mistake I thought

Customer Question

I've given my puppy 1 mil of oramorph by mistake I thought it was his worming solution dorontol I'm devastated and don't know what to do its a pug puppy 7 weeks old please help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did you give this?
What is the strength (milligram per ml)?
How much does he weigh?
How is he just now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 mins ago the strength is 10mg/5ml he's 1 kilo and he's calm at the moment
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Now this is much too high a dose for him, so we do want to act fast before this can absorb. Especially since this could cause him nausea, vomiting, restlessness, low blood pressure, slowed heart rate, slowed breathing, tremors and even seizures and collapse.
Therefore, since it has just been 20 minutes and he's not sedated, we'd want to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting, you can use plain soda crystals. You just want to take a small handful, mix it with water to make a paste, roll that into a ball, and put this right in the back of the throat for him to swallow. This usually will trigger vomiting.. If it doesn't or you do not have soda crystals on hand, then you can have him seen urgently by your local ER vet so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Finally, just to note, some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/ ) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, there are options to have him seen now.
So, we need to act fast here since this is risky for a wee one so small. Therefore, use the above now to get this out of his system and block absorption. Otherwise, if you don't have these treatments or are struggling at all, then ring his vet as they can use these treatments and IV fluids to prevent him any harm.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you here
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I am and I posted what you need to do 16 minutes ago. In case you cannot see that above, I will repost it now-->
I hope this information is helpful.
All the best, *****