Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My border collie collapses some times as if he's dead and

hi my border collie collapses some times as if he's dead and then after about 15 seconds he"s up and about again as if nothings wrong with him he"s done it about 5 times now in the past year he"s 12 years old he done it to day but this time he wet himself can you help me please
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- What happens when he collapse; is he alert? Shaking? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- How often does this happen? 4- How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 no its as if he past out 2 no 3 this was the 5 time in 12 months 4 last 12 months
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
So when he is down he is completely unconscious and no motor function, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes for about 15 seconds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, what you are describing is consistent with fainting which is often the result of cardiac arrhythmias (abnormal heart beats). Basically what happens is that the heart temporarily is not pumping adequate blood and the patient collapses. This can be a consequence of electrical disturbances within the heart or primary cardiac disease. Another possible cause is a seizure where the brain temporarily losses the motor input into the body. Seizures can be caused by: Hypothyroidism, tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. In this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. Treatment will be determined by exact underlying cause. So, he will need to have some testing (blood work, xrays, EKG) done by family vet as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, continue to document when the collapses occur and how long they last. If it happens again tonight I would have him checked by ER veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!